My Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today I am here to share with you my fool-proof chocolate cookie recipe! Read below for more mouth-watering details and info!

Prep:

Pre-heat Oven to 325 degrees
Makes approximately 30 cookies  (depending on how much dough you eat)


Ingredients:

12 Tablespoons (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm
1 cup packed (7 ounces) light or dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (3.5 ounces) granular sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (10.6 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

6-8 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Other Notes:

The mixer I use is the KitchenAid Classic Plus, and you can find a link to it here (I did not buy it directly from KitchenAid, I DID use the link cited)
The cookie scoop I use is from Pampered Chef, and can be found here

Melt the butter in a 4 cup glass measuring cup in the microwave. 1 to 1.5 minutes at 50% gets the job done. Check it every 30 seconds or so and give it a quick stir.  (Do not let the butter get hot - you do not want to cook your eggs.)   Pour the warm butter in your mixer's bowl. Weigh or measure the granular and brown sugar then thoroughly blended with the butter. I like to let my mixer run for a few minutes with just the sugars and the butter.  It  makes the mixture light and fluffy and helps to cool the butter down.  Add the egg, the yolk, and the vanilla directly into the mixing bowl and blend until combined.  Measure the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.  Add the dry ingredients to the mixer and beat at low speed just until combined.  If you  trust your mixer to fold in the chips without breaking them - do it.  If your butter is too warm it will melt the chips.  All of this I have learned from past batches of cookies.  I pass my wisdom on to you.

Line your baking sheet with Parchment Paper.  I bake everything on parchment paper. Use a Medium Cookie Scoop and space 12 cookies evenly on your parchment paper.  Bake at 325 degrees for 8-10 minutes. You will know they are done when the edges are light, golden brown and the centers still look soft and fluffy. The dough will keep in the refrigerator for several days. I Love fresh baked cookies!   I will mix a batch and bake what I need.  Then I will scoop the remaining dough onto a cookie sheet and freeze them for 15 minutes, and transfer them to a freezer zip-bag.  Make sure to label the bag with the Date and Recipe Name. Then I can bake what I need in the following days.  Remember that frozen cookies will take a bit longer to bake.  You might even like baking frozen dough - the edges brown and the centers are even softer and more gooey.

Afterwards I like to let them cool for a minimum of 10 minutes on my cook top.

[Disclaimer: The ingredient list is from Baking Illustrated, but the mixing is my own technique]

With Love, 

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment